Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Health of Our Future Nation


RA: My Paper A
Emily Krebs
November 6, 2010
Word Count: 274

  1. Argument: Current physical education requirements in Kentucky negatively effects elementary school students future health because inadequate physical education class requirements for KY elementary school students not only limits the amount of physical activity of students, but also prevents them from learning healthy exercise habits, thus jeopardizing their future health.
  2. Audience: Kentucky Department of Education
  3. Goal: To convince the Kentucky Department of Education to implement the recommendations of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Institute of Medicine who suggest physical activity daily through physical education classes daily.
  4. How:
    1. Ethos: I use multiple peer-reviewed articles and well-known institutions to support my evidence, which gives me authority.
    2. Pathos: I begin and end my paper with a tragic story about a young girl who is suffering from obesity and obesity-related health problems that began with physical activity. This evokes sadness and compassion from the reader, and hopefully makes them wonder how to change that problem.
    3. Sufficient: I use a sufficient amount of evidence to support my claim through peer-reviewed articles and studies that prove my point.
    4. Typical: The type of evidence that I use is evidence that the Kentucky Department of Education is used to seeing. This type of evidence is the only type of evidence that they would accept because it is from well-known and acclaimed researchers and institutions (such as the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services).
  5. Effectiveness: I hope my paper is effective! I feel like I support my argument well and address counterarguments well, to at least convince my audience to consider changing the way that they implement their curriculums. 

No comments:

Post a Comment